Sales play a key role in the success of every organization. Evidence shows that content marketing contributes to sales enablement, with a 15% increase in win rates. This has a direct correlation to successful sales training, building customer relationships, and increasing ROI. Collaboration and communication between the sales and marketing teams can result in effective content marketing and boost sales performance. In addition to this proof, we already know it works because that’s exactly what we do for our clients!
How Does Content Marketing Help Sales Enablement?
Sales enablement is the process of equipping your sales team with necessary content, information, and tools to sell as efficiently as possible. Content marketing provides support at each stage of the buyer’s journey, from brand awareness to consideration, purchase, referral, and engagement. To be effective, communication and objectives between the sales and marketing teams need to be aligned.
Data reveals only 39% of marketing teams agree that their counterpart sales teams are using the content at the right stage in the buyer’s journey, and 1 in 4 times the marketing and sales teams tell a completely different brand story. For these two teams to work effectively and for them to support each other and support sales enablement strategies, marketers need to focus on creating content which sales teams can use effectively and logically to meet their goals. Since the market is flooded with so many options, approximately 95% of buyers prefer marketing agencies that can support them through each stage of the buying process. Pace Creative is one of those agencies! 😊
How Should You Align Your Marketing to Support Sales Enablement?
The answer is content marketing! During the process, break down the concept of ‘Silos’, where the marketing and sales teams can come together to agree on unified values and goals:
- Understand your customer persona before you put together your content marketing strategy. Primary (if you have the budget) or applicable secondary research will be used to map out and document your customer’s journey and align with your customer personas.
- Marketing and sales teams must collaborate to gather information related to the sales cycle. This information is used to better understand typical objections from each persona and how to overcome them. Interview your sales team as they interact with customers and have a better understanding of the kind of content that would facilitate in securing new deals.
It’s highly recommended to provide basic training and coaching on content marketing for your sales team to fully comprehend how the content can be used as sales enablement tools! Additionally, by understanding the sales cycle, the marketing team can plan a robust content management system and document the type of content that would support specific stages of the buyer’s journey. B2B marketers can work on creating engaging content that is aligned with the needs of the sales team, extending the sales process and encouraging both teams to meet the same business goals – one common goal often being high quality lead generation.
How do you Create High Value Sales Enablement Content?
There are many ways to create high value sales enablement content – here are our six suggestions for marketing teams:
- Document Your Strategy, Activation Plan, Editorial Calendars and Audits: Documentation is the foundation of a content marketing strategy. Bottom-of-the-funnel content can help address specific questions sales reps get asked and help improve sales enablement.
- Use Internal Subject Matter Experts (SME): Work closely with your sales team and sales reps to identify common questions encountered at each stage of the buyer’s journey. As sales enablement is an ongoing effort, the content will need continuous updates to cater to your company’s expansions and new ventures.
- Auditing: Auditing your existing content per channel will allow you to identify misalignment, inconsistencies in tone and messaging, and most importantly, allow you to find new opportunities to adjust or create more content.
- Invest in Content Strategy: Visual storytelling like presentations, webinars, videos, infographics etc. are highly effective, engaging, and growing in popularity in the industry. Improve customer information retention and boost sales performance by determining content that can be presented in a visually stimulating way.
- All Content Should be Strategic: Tracking content usage and analytics provides a tangible way of assessing team performance. Monitoring marketing content is crucial to improving sales enablement. Read our two-part guide to marketing metrics for more information on how to measure the success of your content marketing strategy.
- Fill in the Gaps: Develop a wide variety of strategic content asset types. Each asset should add value to your overall strategy and align with your customer persona and journey in order support sales enablement. If you do not have the internal resources or need to elevate the quality of content, hire external help!
Examples of Sales Enablement Strategies
Tradeshow Campaign Strategy for Family-Owned Local Business
E.B. Horsman & Son, a family owned and local electric distributor, has been around for over 115 years. To adapt to the changing industry, they needed help establishing an overarching content marketing and tradeshow strategy to show expertise and thought leadership, while also closing the marketing gap between traditional marketing and digital marketing.
Working alongside the CEO and sales team, Pace Creative created a tradeshow strategy by establishing goals, identifying target audiences, and recommending promotions and tactics based on the current strategy in place and our additional research. With a comprehensive sales enablement guide and strategy document recommending what to do before, during, and after a tradeshow, E.B Horsman & Son’s tradeshow strategy complemented the content marketing strategy, social media strategy, and strategic landing page that Pace Creative previously established for them.
By creating a strong identity, strategic landing page, and sales enablement strategy with Pace Creative, the new content led to high quality leads, more customer and industry referrals, and higher local SEO ranking, all of which helped E.B. meet their sales and business goals!
Content Marketing Strategy for Finning Canada
With the goal of increasing sales leads, Finning requested for Pace Creative to create a content marketing strategy that considers the website and SEO.
Pace Creative worked with Finning and their sales team to create a content strategy plan following the customer journey and target personas, producing engaging and relatable optimized content that positioned Finning as an expert in their industry.
With the content marketing strategy in place, Finning Canada’s marketing was able to generate more leads and attract potential customers using online and digital channels.
Content Marketing Strategy for Barnes Group
With a wide range of audiences, Barnes Group needed to update its marketing strategy with digital content and tactics that ensure content is conveying the right message to the right audience in order to generate quality leads.
Pace Creative developed a sales enablement strategy equipped with content marketing, focusing on the complex customer journey. Specifically looking at the engineered spring and precision metal component Barnes Group offers; the online marketing strategy was focused on the aerospace industry and its personas.
Complete with a competitor analysis and an activation plan, Barnes Group Inc. is now fully equipped with the foundation of sales enablement needed to generate new online leads!
We hope this blogpost was helpful in explaining how important alignment between your marketing and sales teams is in order for your content marketing strategies to create high value sales enablement content that is so important for your business!
At Pace Creative, we know how to craft sales enablement strategies based on your needs that will generate leads and sales. Read about why SEO for the manufacturing industry is a worthy investment here and how it can help your business. To learn more about how we can help you, make sure to get in touch with us!