So, you’re just about to launch your new integrated marketing campaign. You have completed your checklist:
- Optimized the campaign for the right marketing channels and keywords.
- Implemented a wide range of tactics.
- Conducted the research to nail down the right target audience.
But you might be overlooking an important part – a documented strategy in the form of a marketing playbook. You are not the only one! Only 16% of companies have a fully documented marketing strategy, while 45% have some of their strategy documented.
Even though, as a leader, you might be thinking holistically and strategically about your campaign, it can easily lack cohesiveness and consistency if it’s not documented. At Pace Creative, we are all for documenting your marketing strategy and putting together playbooks.
Clients might not see the immediate ROI of a playbook until just before campaign launch. In some cases, during the final review, the team lead might notice that details have been missed or that the message is not consistent across all channels! This is where the benefits of investing in a marketing playbook become abundantly clear.
Many of our clients are visionary and want to leave a legacy. The playbook’s ability to standardize workflows and increase the consistency of content output helps leaders and CMOs do just that. Not to mention marketing leaders that have a documented strategy, such as a playbook, are 397% more likely to meet KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) and success measures.
Before we explain why a playbook matters and why leaders see it as a positive marketing investment, we first need to understand what a playbook is and what it includes.
What’s a Marketing Playbook?
A playbook outlines your target marketing strategies or initiatives and may include the following information:
- Outline and align business goals for all team members or departments involved
- Outline key messages and roles for all involved
- Set a quality standard for content to ensure it remains consistent.
At Pace Creative, playbooks are part of our standard project process. We use them as a blueprint for all KPI-driven communication and marketing related projects such as campaigns and strategies.
What to include
Depending on what you want to achieve with your campaign, you might include the following in your B2B marketing playbook:
- Campaign overview: Include the purpose and phases of the campaign for all teams and departments involved in the campaign. This is especially important if the team is not involved in the conceptualization phase of the campaign.
- Goals and key messages: Everyone working with or on a campaign needs to understand and share the goals.
- Relevant assets: Outline campaign asset types by channel and give an overview of how they align with the customer journey.
- Responsibilities and roles: Include instructions, direction, and role definition for various team members and departments.
- Established playbook champion: Identify who will lead the campaign after launch and provide support to other departments as needed.
- Standard process and workflow: Outline standard procedures and processes to minimize miscommunication.
Use a content marketing playbook to:
- Get all stakeholders from different departments on board with the different assets
- Show how assets integrate within the campaign
- Explain how the assets align with the content marketing strategy
Simply put, if all stakeholders involved in a campaign or initiative are not clear on the strategy behind it, it’s easy to lose focus!
Team members need to be clear on roles, responsibilities, overall key messages, and overall processes and workflows. Marketing playbooks include information on these details and can facilitate collaboration. Your B2B marketing playbook will also resolve conflicting goals and perspectives. This may be caused by a lack of alignment on messaging or priorities between teams.
Here are 7 key reasons why you should invest in a marketing playbook:
Marketing leaders and CMOs see the value in investing in a B2B marketing playbook for the following reasons:
- Avoid inconsistent output: With guidelines for content, you can make sure each piece of content is achieving the same standards.
- Clarity: All team members working on the campaign will be clear on the vision, business goals, and expectations, regardless of their background, knowledge, or expertise. Role clarity is improved through outlining responsibilities for individuals.
- Define processes and workflows: Document all processes and update them after each campaign to ensure consistency.
- Maintain focus: Clearly outline project workflow and KPIs. Make sure new value-add ideas are in line with the campaign.
- Measure success accurately: Record the KPIs and success measures for your content marketing and compare results during and after campaigns. Document this information to use it for future marketing campaign optimization.
- Prolong legacy: Legacy comes from learning from projects which can be passed on to future campaigns.
- Document what you learn as you meet your outlined KPIs.
- Optimize initiatives to set a standard for future campaigns.
- Team flexibility: Role clarity allows for flexibility between team members and overall teams to accommodate schedules and workloads.
We created a playbook for a product launch campaign for Aggreko – it helped define key messaging for the sales team, improved collaboration between marketing, sales, and other teams, and helped Aggreko close sales more efficiently and effectively. In addition, the playbook is used to repurpose and localize the campaign in new markets, if needed.
Embrace the Content Marketing Playbook
Whether your campaign is based around written content, visual content, or even leading edge technology like virtual reality, a marketing playbook will help your campaigns run smoother and increase your success in meeting specific business goals.
Your marketing playbook will help produce higher quality content and maintain a consistent standard throughout all campaigns and assets created.
At Pace Creative, we’re the experts in developing concept driven and strategic marketing playbooks. 100% of our campaigns have met our client’s specific business goals while optimizing their ROIs. We’d love to help you put a playbook into action. Feel free to reach out and contact us!